Wednesday 6 February 2008

WoW Diary Day 1: Thunder Bluff and Moonglade

On reaching Thunder Bluff, the first thing I notice is the explosion in the chat channels. As I move through the world, WoW has kept me abreast of the area's local chatter, except it's more of a whisper. Once you reach the big city though, the effect is that of a market. It is a market. Strange and exotic items are hawked and hailed, guild masters tout for members and banter is heard loud across the metropolis.

There are so many traders, there's a baker. Not a food vendor, but a baker, separate from the city's butcher and cook. There's a bank. You can even have a friendly word with the Chief, and cower at some brutal quests. I've come here on a different sort of quest: a personal one. Here I will find Tonga Runetotem, who will complete my shamanic training and grant me the power of the bear.

He's not in a hurry. He teaches me a spell that will take me to Moonglade, where I will meet those with the strongest connection to the Earthmother. Moonglade is gorgeous – all gloomy forest and stone villas. Running into alliance druids in this neutral druidic space is strange, but a reminder that the enemy in the war is not so different from you. Another druid tells me to commune with the Great Bear Spirit. To the north-west. Some things do not change.

After passing an incredible demigod lurking about looking bored, I find the ghostly bear. We exchange meaningless dialogue and I return to be told that I should go back to see Tonga Runetotem. In a classic fable-matching moment, I try my spell, to find myself back at Moonglade. It won't take me back to Thunder Bluff. Checking the map, I realise I'm half a continent away from Mulgore. I don't fancy the walk. Fortunately I set my hearthstone (a well-considered “take me home” item that works once per hour) to Thunder Bluff, but another beginner may not have, or may not think of this.

Tonga has one more step for me. I must go to the edge of the next area, sprinkle some dust on a magic stone, and defeat the creature that appears. Once this step is taken, I will be granted the wisdom of the bear. Already however, side-quests call me to explore the new area – The Barrens.

No comments: